Who Do We Worship?
Part 1 of 3
Text: Deuteronomy 6:4-6
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
- Who is the object of our worship
- The Triune God
- Genesis 1:26
- Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
- Isaiah 6:8a
- Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
- God the Father
- Exodus 20:3
- “You shall have no other gods before me.
- Exodus 33:18-23
- 18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”
- John 1:1-3; 14
- 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Matthew 3:16-17
- 16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
- Holy Spirit
- Genesis 1:2
- Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
- Genesis 2:7
- the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
- Psalm 104:30
- When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the earth.
- Acts 2: 3-4
- 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
- Romans 8:26-27
- 26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.
“True worship is that exercise of the human spirit that confronts us with the mystery and marvel of God in Whose presence the most appropriate and salutary response is adore love.” —Ralph P. Martin