3 The voice of the Lord echoes above the sea.
The God of glory thunders.
The Lord thunders over the mighty sea.
4 The voice of the Lord is powerful;
the voice of the Lord is majestic.
5 The voice of the Lord splits the mighty cedars;
the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He makes Lebanon’s mountains skip like a calf;
he makes Mount Hermon leap like a young wild ox.
7 The voice of the Lord strikes
with bolts of lightning.
8 The voice of the Lord makes the barren wilderness quake;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the Lord twists mighty oaks*
and strips the forests bare.
In his Temple everyone shouts, “Glory!”
Reasons for Worship (verse 3-9)
In stark contrast to the pagan nations around them (who worshiped the gods of the air, sea, sun, sky, etc), David reminds his readers (and himself) that God is master of all of these!
1. The Lord is master of the oceans (v. 3)
2. The Lord is master of the sky (v. 4)
3. The Lord is master over the forests (v. 5)
4. The Lord is master over the mountains (v. 6)
5. The Lord is master over the weather (v. 7)
6. The Lord is master over the deserts (v. 8)
7. The Lord is master over the destructive acts of nature (v. 9)
What a mighty God we serve!