The Lord is leading me through an incredible study of worship! A few months ago I assembled a series of lessons about worship. They are far from complete but right now they deal with the “5 Ws of Worship: What, Why, Who, When, Where”. I hope to add a “How” to these soon.
Please feel free to make any comments on the lesson below.
What is Worship?
Part 1 of 4
Text: Matthew 22:36-40
- The word “worship” comes from Old English word “worthship”.
- Worship is communion with God.
- What does communion mean?
- American Heritage Dictionary: The act or an instance of sharing, as of thoughts or feelings.
- So to commune with God is to share with God. It comes from the same word from which we get the word “communication”.
- As such, it’s a two way street! You talk to God and HE TALKS TO YOU!
- John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
- Seeks: Greek verb zeteo (Zeteo) (dzay-teh’-o) To desire, to seek, to endeavor after, strive for.
- The Father is desiring, striving, seeking, and endeavoring after you and me to worship Him!
- He initiates worship by seeking after us!
- Therefore, “worship is communication with God”
- George Barna: “The problem is that American Christians do not have a heart that is thirsting for an experience with God, eager to express gratitude and praise to Him, and open to His response to their efforts to convey humility, appreciation, acknowledgement of His love and character, and joy in knowing and serving Him.”